By Michael Walters
Today the Anaheim Ducks host the Vancouver Canucks for their season home opener at 7pm.
The Ducks are looking to rebound from their season opening loss to the San Jose Sharks. Eddy Jones and I discuss how the Ducks can get back on track starting tonight. We also preview the home stand and discuss Ducks team news. After reading the game preview below, you can hear our podcast by scrolling down to the bottom for additional analysis of this game.
Keys To The Game:
1. Screens: The Ducks have plenty of size on the team. It’s time to create more traffic in front of the opposing net to get some rebounds or deflections to get the team’s first goal of the season.
2. Forecheck: The Ducks need to enter the zone cleaner. This would give the Ducks more time to set up a play in the offensive zone and wear out the Canucks’ defense. This is especially true for the power play.
2. Power Play: It’s early in the season, but the Canucks are just 1 for 7 on the power play. They have plenty of weapons to make the power play more successful.
Players To Watch:
1. Kevin Bieksa: You know “Juice” will be ready to play in this game tonight. Nothing like a home opener against your only former NHL team to get your blood pumping.
2. Jiri Sekac: If he does in fact play on the first line, then I like to see how his speed will compliment the twins. I think he could really excel if given a prolonged term on the top line.
1. Daniel Sedin: After two games Daniel has already found himself on the scoring sheet, which is no surprise. He has a goal and two assists to lead the team with three points. He and his brother Henrik are always the focus of opposing team’s defense.
2. Jannik Hansen: Hansen is off to a good start with a goal and assist. His +/- is +3 and he has scored a goal on just 4 shots. Look for him to provide some secondary scoring for Vancouver.
Anaheim Ducks Projected Line-up:
Vancouver Canucks Projected Line-up:
Ducks: Frederik Andersen (Probable)
Canucks: Ryan Miller (Probable)
We have a special Ducks Home Opener podcast! Click below to listen!
You can also find the podcast here:
Click here to subscribe and listen to the podcast on iTunes: Ducks N Pucks iTunes. And if you have trouble with the link then go to iTunes and search for “ducksnpucks” in the podcast category.
Click here to subscribe and listen to the podcast on Stitcher: Ducks N Pucks Stitcher
We are on Podomatic here ducksnpucks.podomatic.com! You can listen to the most recent episode here:
Follow us Twitter @DucksNPucks !
Like us on Facebook at DucksNPucks !
Follow us on Instagram at DucksNPucks !